Saturday, 30 March 2013

# Africa News # BreakingNews

17-year-old boy spends 8yrs in Lagos prison for ‘Wandering’

 17yrsjailed
It was a moment of joy afresh for the mother of a bastille bedfellow that had been apprehension balloon aback 2005. Mrs. Maria Emmanuel danced and shouted with joy on the cloister bounds of the Lagos High Court, sitting in Igbosere if Justice Deborah Oluwayemi appear her son, Paul Samuel.

Five added apprehension balloon inmates were aswell appear by the court. They included Fatai Amidu, Adebayo Owuade, Gabriel Samuel, Mike Ofoje and Lawal Karimu.

Speaking with us, Mrs. Samuel, a badge anatomical at Egbe Idimu Local Government Area (and whose bedmate is a retired soldier), said she had approved all efforts to could cause her son to be appear from bastille – all to no avail. She acclaimed that her son was not arraigned aback he was arrested at Maryland, Lagos, in 2005 and had been apprehension admonition from Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) aback then.

According to her, she pleaded with her colleagues at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Panti, Yaba area her son was aboriginal taken but regretted that nobody, including her chief colleagues, was able to advice her.

When I went to Alagbon Badge Station, no one could advice me. They said it is because he was an armed robbery suspect. I did not go to any chief badge administrator to advice me.

These accomplished eight years accept been abhorrent for me. I was fat afore but if you now attending at me today, you will see that I am thin. I could not eat or sleep; I was worried, cerebration and arrant even in the office. I was active about for my son's release.

This was circuitous by the retirement of my bedmate from the Nigerian Army due to his legs, which were afflicted during the January 2002 bomb bang at Ikeja Cantonment in Lagos. He can't plan anymore and he has gone to break in Bayelsa area we barrage from. I am the alone one disturbing for everything,” she said.

She declared that all her efforts to get her son out of bastille were abortive until she met a lawyer, Ahmed Kazeem-Adetola from a non-governmental organisation, Prisoners Right Advocacy Initiative.

Fortunately, his advocate was present in court. His advocate was able to analyze issues to the court. The cloister appear him on the arena that he had been in bastille afterwards balloon over the declared answerability of armed robbery for eight years.

Reliving the incidents that led to his imprisonment, Paul vowed to be accurate about his best of friends. According to him, all he did was to accost a acquaintance and he concluded up in prison. He acclaimed that the friend' bailed himself out afterwards searching aback to see how he fared.

On a Sunday morning, I was on my way to Maryland if I saw a acquaintance and we greeted. I befuddled his easily and suddenly, the badge came to arrest the abode and they arrested anybody they saw. They took anybody to Panti.

I could not acquaintance my ancestors to appear and bond me out and I didn't accept money. Abounding of those humans I was bedfast with bailed themselves out with money. But those of us that didn't accept money were larboard and they answerable us afore a cloister cloister for robbery.

They dumped us at Kirikiri Bastille and afterwards I was transferred to Ikoyi Prisons area I was taken to Maximum Prisons.

However, Paul is hopeful that activity afterwards imprisonment would be bigger because he learnt how to accomplish shoes and sandals in prison. He says he wants to accomplish use of that ability and to aswell organise seminars for humans to apperceive how to accomplish shoes.

At least, I learnt how to accomplish covering shoes, slippers and sandals during those eight years. I wish to be authoritative shoes and I will be lecturing humans on how to accomplish them.

When I was there, as a adherent Catholic, I absorbed myself to the church. That was area I was able to get acceptable aliment and clothes. Bastille aliment is horrible. It isn't simple to be in that abode for eight years afterwards freedom, acceptable food, clothes and even s*x!

Reacting to the development, Paul's lawyer, Kazeem-Adetola, acclaimed that the botheration of bastille bottleneck stemmed from the Federal Government, Ministry of Justice and the Nigerian police. He said his alignment had been alive harder in the accomplished two years for the absolution of inmates, who had been apprehension balloon for abounding years afterwards trial.



Whats your Opinion on this? Share with us what you feel by using the comment box below.
Post a Comment

Follow Us @XclusiveAfrica