Saturday, 9 August 2014

# African Nations Cup # African Sport

Chelsea star Didier Drogba retires from international football

Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba announced his international retirement on Friday after scoring 61 goals in 103 appearances for his country.

"It is with much sadness that I have decided to retire from international football," the 36-year-old said on his website.

The Chelsea forward was a fixture in the national side for 12 years, playing in three World Cups and twice helping the team finish runners-up at the African Nations Cup.

"These past 12 years in the national team have been full of emotions. From my first call up to my last match I have always tried to give my best for my country," Drogba added.

"I am very proud to have been captain of this team for eight years and to have contributed to placing my country on the world stage of football."

Follow Us @XclusiveAfrica