Tuesday, 2 December 2014

# African Sport # Algerian

Yacine Brahimi Crowned BBC African Footballer of the Year

Algerian and FC Porto star, Yacine Brahimi, has been crowned as BBC African Footballer of the Year, beating Nigerian Vincent Enyeama, Gabonese Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Ivorian pair Gervinho and Yaya Toure.

The 24-year-old midfielder becomes the first Algerian to win the award, which is decided by football fans.

Brahimi told BBC Sport: “It’s a big honour for me to receive this wonderful trophy. I owe it to my country, Algeria, and to all the people who voted for me.
“It’s also a trophy for the whole of Africa, because it rewards an African player. So I am really very happy.”

And he is thrilled to have been acclaimed as the best player on the continent for the past year.

Follow Us @XclusiveAfrica